Mysore Regular Infantry
from Charles Gold's Oriental Drawings
In the text which accompanies this plate, Gold quotes 'from a paper written during the last war, by the late Lieut. Ewan Bushby of the Bengal establishment' dated 1st September 1795:
'The dress of the regular infantry is generally of purple woollen stuff, with white diamond formed spots on it, which is called the tyger jacket. On the head is worn a muslin turban, of a red colour, and round the waist a cumberband, or sash, of the same.
Their legs and feet are entirely naked, excepting a kind of sandal slipper, worn to protect their soles from the roughness of the march.
They are accoutred with black leather cross belts, and commonly armed with musquets of French manufacture; though some are made in their own country; over the lock is a leather covering, to defend it from dampness.
In the distance, a part of the north west front of Seringapatam is seen.
The twin minarets of Tipu's Masjid e'Ala, the great Sriranatha-svami temple and the flagstaff cavalier are clearly visible on the skyline.
Tipu, the French and the English, all employed sepoy regiments, many of whom are commemorated on the monument which stands at the point where the British breached the walls of Seringapatam.
Previous: A Naigue of the Bombay Grenadier Battalion, by Gold
Next: Officers and Private of the Gun Lascar Corps, Madras Establishment, by Gold
Back to Charles Gold's Oriental Drawings